Contigo

New American Tapas and Cocktails

Grade: A+


The scene: An all outdoor patio bar, with an inviting and relaxing feel. Their food is also far above what you'd expect at a 'bar' styled venue. I've now spent a couple hot afternoons and evenings here, yet they do a great job of keeping it rather cool and well circulated. Already they're busy so try to come in before 7:30 unless you don't mind having to wait/stand.

Good for: Their small plates. Grab a couple friends and order a selection of them with your drinks. I was impressed with the menu items and how simple yet delectable they all are. I personally love the pickled beets, and the fried potatoes and pig ears. The pickled beets are housemade, a great fresh, light (and addicting) dish. The fried potatoes and pig ears are a little different than I would of expected (your normal thick french fries and the dried pig ears you'd eat while watching football). Both items are 'shaved' thinly and lightly fried. Yum.

Must have: Rabbit and dumplings - I'm a sucker for a good dumpling dish, especially if made correctly. Contigo does it. The vegetables are perfectly cooked, the rabbit juicy and tender, the dumplings (while this the only part I think is not to die for) made fresh and delicious, and the sauce is perfectly made - just pulls the whole dish together.

Dessert: They had an off menu dessert the past two times I was there. I cannot remember the dishes, other than the fact one had fresh and local peaches with cream fraiche. Those two items there make my mouth water. Just the peaches alone on the dish sold me. We originally ordered one, but because it was gone so fast we ordered two more (with a group of 3).

Veggie review: Stay away from the white bean dip (while really good, has duck fat). The last time I went they had 'fried' okra, although it's not listed on their menu online. Instead of batter and deep frying them, they pan fried them. If you like okra like me, you'll devour them fast. For my vegan friends, while there are one or two items to eat here I wouldn't come here hungry.

Monies: Dishes vary between $4-13, and the lower priced items are served tapas style so I recommend ordering ~2 per person.

Other comments: Their Burger and fries were a little disappointing here. While the burger itself wasn't at all bad, compared to the rest of the dishes I just wasn't impressed. I cannot put my finger on it, either the meat was under seasoned or a tad overcooked. I will have to give this dish another try in the hopes it was just a bad fluke (if I can pull myself away from ordering the rabbit & dumpling dish).